11/16/10

11-15-96? 11-15-96? 11-15-96? - Friday

I'm weird I know it.  Well another day.  I have a big headache but hopefully it will go away.  I'll write you later and tell you what I did today.

It's 9:51pm.  Today we didn't do much.  But it was really exciting.  We went and bought some blankets etc.  Then came home and ate.  I was so tired that I fell asleep because we were going signboarding and that fell through, so my companion said I could take a nap.

I woke up at a quarter to 6 and we went tracking [it's actually called tracting (going door to door with a tract or pamphlet) - but it's my first exposure to it - so understandable that I would misspell it.]  We went way over onto another metro line and took a long bus.  We went to the top floor of a building and started tracking.  Elder Barnes did the first few doors and then I did the 3rd door. 

They [the inhabitants of the apartment] came to the door speaking English and so when they opened I spoke in English.  We talked to them for a minute and one of the guys, there were two guys in the apartment, kept asking if we had ever been robbed.  They invited us in and we talked about the Book of Mormon, and then we talked for a little bit.  The one guy kept asking us if we had ever been robbed.  He said it about 5 or 6 times, and finally Elder Barnes asked what he was getting at.  He pulled a gun underneath his pillow and demanded Elder Barnes' watch ["I'm getting at this" he said as he pulled the gun out.] 

Elder Barnes said it was time to go and walked to the door [to the room we were in] and out before one of the guys closed the door [right as I was trying to get through it - I was stuck in there with him].  He opened the door and went out but locked the front [door].  He didn't bring the gun with him though.  Then Elder Barnes ran back in the room and one guy that had pulled out the gun went in and closed the door. 

Then Elder Barnes came back out of the room WITH THE GUN [waving it around and telling them to get back].  In the meantime I had the other guy unlock the door.  I grabbed both our shoes and we ran down the stairs and went down the stairs [??] and we put our shoes back on.  [Elder Barnes could just stick his feet in his shoes like nothing...wiggle a bit and boom he had them on.  I had to unlace them and re-tie. I was still retying when]  Elder Barnes said something like "that makes me mad" and he went back up the stairs. 

I said "Whoa, whoa" and followed him up.  He like rang the door and said "Open the fetching door [you fetchers]"  and they did and then.....

They all started LAUGHING and I got that it was a joke.  So we laughed and talked for a while.

Just now Elder Barnes said that people think America is so much better.  They will move there.  Actually I put that to the question and he said you'd be surprised.  This is not even as good as America -  I said "I don't think America is so much better" and he said that "when you get my age on a mission you'll feel differently".  It was funny.

[Post journal chat - the really ironic thing about this hazing was the fact that several things about the hazing should have tipped me off.  Ст. Eric Larsen & Ст. Marcus Woolverton (who had pulled the gun) had thought it was going to be later and weren't expecting us.  So that's why they were speaking English.  As we walked in there was the picture of Christ appearing in the skies on the far side of the apartment.  Both missionaries were wearing shorts and so as we sat on beds opposite each other I thought that I saw garments underneath their shorts.  They must have noticed me looking though, because they immediately asked me another question and pulled their shorts down. 

Ст. Larsen was the one by the front door that opened it for me when Ст. Barnes was in the room.  He was trying not to laugh and he said that he wished that he could have taken a picture of my face when Ст. Barnes came out with the gun.  He said my eyes were so huge. 

Two days later at church on Sunday it was hard for me to trust those two, especially Ст. Woolverton.  He actually was next companion two months later.  Ст. Woolverton is really a nice guy and I had a lot of fun with him during our companionship.]

No comments:

Post a Comment