11/2/10

October 2, 1996 - Saturday

Today has been awesome.  Ct Parks and I finally sat down and talked about some of the problems we were having.  I feel awesome.  Then I finished writing more notes and I gave them to Sister Heaton so that she could write them.  Brother Feldman, a sub, will write them in his handwriting to confuse everyone.  I hope that Ct Parks doesn't catch on because he was waiting for me to finish [the interview].

[Post journal chat - just mentioning the sub triggered a memory and I wasn't sure that I had put it down in here.  One time we were out doing a lesson on the stairs.  Calling on the phone was mentioned and B Wolsey was demonstrating a how a phone call would go & one of us missionaries was practicing with him.  Another teacher was passing and said that wasn't right.  As the pair started again to do a phone call - the other teacher imitated a crackling phone line - and then in an old babushka's voice, in Russian, he started to try to break into the conversation..."Natalya - is that you...who is on here..get off the line" and we all started laughing.

It was a funny anecdote, but I didn't really understand it fully until I was in my 2nd apartment.  Much of what we learned in the MTC didn't make sense out in the field.  But some did...our line was crossed with someone else's, probably our neighbors, and only one of us could be on it at a time.  Sometimes the phone calls went exactly like it had in the MTC.  It only happened once in a while, but by the time my 6 months was up it got a little tiring.  Once we really needed to call and we had to make annoying noises until they hung up and we could use the phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment