6/8/12

June 8, 1997 - Sunday

Today we went to Institute and then came home after we exchange stuff with Ст. Meeks - some watches he's taking home.  Then as we were cooking and saw this drunk guy staggering across the field, well he fell down and we went out to help him.  He was not very nice and tried to pick a fight by bumping me in the nuts with his umbrella [I don't know why, but that image is hilarious].  We left after he tried to intice [I think I meant "entice"] me closer so he could hit me or something.  So I said свего доброго [I even misspelled in Russian.  I meant всего доброго which is everything good.  It's a polite way to say good-bye.] and досвидания [a formal good-bye].  Well it must have woken him up a little because he walked off better than we first saw him.

 
[Mini Russian lesson - I just love how language, any language evolves.  Words change over time, and combine forming new words.  Take досвидания - it's a compound word like welcome - well come - so it's до & свидания.  до is "up to," or "until," and свидания is "meeting", or "date", but is linked to видить, meaning "to see", the с in front makes it perfective (I think) - perfective also means that it is in the future, so "will see."  So put it all together, and what do we get?...until we will see each other.  In fact in the hymn "God be with you till we meet again," it is Бог с табой доколе свидимся.  Now, why Russians look forward to the next time they see each other, while we English just wish for a peaceful parting?...well I don't know.  Peace and I'm out of here.]

No comments:

Post a Comment