10/6/10

October 1, 1996 - Tuesday

I was opening my journal and read my name...Elder Walter Dale Herrick.  I got this from Jerylynn Judkins [an old girlfriend].  And at the time it was still about 2 years until I would go on my mission.  It was at the time where I should have been leaving, because I was 19.  I never thought that I would be worthy enough.  She had faith in me though and has always talked to me and encouraged me, along with her family.  I'm very thankful that I am able to know her and many wonderful friends and girls like her. 

It's now about 9:47 pm.  We had a pretty chock full day.  I made a goal to memorize a principle a day from the Russian discussion.  Well I did the first paragraph.  It was frustrating.  It's really hard because I just have to go on sounds instead of words.  Tomorrow I will work harder so I can accomplish more toward my goal.

I just read my patriarchal blessing.  It has such a great power to uplift me and make me see the big picture.  One verse that stuck our was talking about Satan - "tell Satan to leave you alone...His time is short and you have the eternities."  the Spirit bears witness that, that is true every single time I think about that.  Another verse that stands out is talking about missionary work.  It says "love your companions and those who you serve."  Boy do I need to work on that. 

I'm starting to get along better with Elder Parks.  I know that I still need to work but I don't feel negative of him anymore.  I miss my life in the outside world.  But I love being here.  I'm a little scared that I won't be able to learn the language.  Gilbert wrote me, through Nick, and said that if I memorized a principle a day - I would be able to have all the discussions memorized by the time I got out of here.  So that is my new goal.  1 principle a day for a week.  Then I'll reevaluate and see it need to improve myself.  Set a higher or lower goal.  At least this way I am trying really hard.  Well goodnight.  I'll be praying for you walt!

No comments:

Post a Comment